Questions to Ask as You Prepare to Leave the Hospital
The following are important questions and tips that will help you be prepared and stay safe after you leave the hospital.
- Ask the staff about your health conditions and what you can do to help yourself get better.
- Ask about problems to watch for and what to do about them.
- Review your medication list with staff every day. This includes any vitamins or supplements you are taking.
- Review your final medication list on the day of discharge with the staff. Ask your team about which medicines you should continue, change, stop or start after you leave the hospital.
- Confirm with your nurse when you received your last dose of medicine(s) and when the next dose is due.
What is ahead?
- Ask your healthcare team about resources to support your well-being after you leave the hospital.
- Be aware of any follow-up appointments that have been scheduled or need to be scheduled.
- Create a plan to make sure you have what you need the day you leave the hospital.
Recovery & Support
- Will you be going home with Medical equipment? Have you been shown how to use this equipment?
- Ask your healthcare team if it is safe for you to do the following activities alone.
- Bathing, dressing, using the bathroom, climbing stairs
- Cooking, food shopping, house cleaning, paying bills
- Getting to doctors' appointments, picking up prescriptions drugs
Please tell the staff if you do not feel safe doing any of the above.
Help at Home
- Make sure you have support (like a caregiver) in place that can help you.
- Ask the staff to show you and your caregiver any tasks that may require special skills (like changing a bandage or giving a shot). Then, show them you can do these tasks.
- Ask to speak to a social worker if you are concerned about how you and your family are coping with your illness. Write down information about support groups and other resources.
- Talk to a case manager or your health plan if you have questions about what your insurance will cover (for example- medical supplies, medications, home care) and how much you will have to pay. Ask about possible ways to get help with your costs.
- Ask when and who to call if you have problems arise after you leave the hospital.